Friday, July 23, 2010

Tool 5: Tags

I recently joined Diigo to bookmark my "favorites." Tagging is now my new favorite online organization tool. I added a few sites related to my personal hobbies: knitting (The Knit List) and gardening (The Backyard Gardener.) I also created a "hobbies" tag and specific tags like knitting, gardening, and crochet.

Hmm...let me exercise my brain to come up with ideas for using this in a 1st grade classroom. A class diigo could be created to collect, tag, and organize teacher approved websites with educational games for kids to access at a computer workstation or in the computer lab. Once the kids know they can only visit the bookmarked sites, this would cut down on the question, "Can we go to (insert website name)?"

3 comments:

  1. I like the personal touch on your tags. Guest I might use gardening too. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of tagging "approved websites". It also allows the kids to pick from a variety of bookmarks and really allows them to actively pursue their interests.

    It would also be great for researching when we get to the insect unit. The kids could share with their classmates sites that they found helpful when completing their research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, Mrs. Browning!

    Thanks for the researching idea, Stephanie. I am looking forward to working with you this year.

    ReplyDelete